Home Page


Family History of Ruby Arline Hankey (Hanggi) Roy


Most of us have little interest in our heritage until it is too late. The individuals we would like to question about the family have died and little information has been collected and saved. We have to reconstruct the past like a historian. Much of what we are can be attributed to our ancestors and this is not most importantly our genetic constitution. As this gathering of information over a relatively short period of time shows the forbearers of this family experienced tragedies and financial failures no different than we encounter today. But they also experienced episodes of very primitive living conditions, losing loved ones in blizzards, flooding, capture and enslavement by native Americans, prairie fires, and others that one might find only in fictional works today. Families that stayed in North Dakota (and Minnesota) had to be daring, courageous, and determined. We owe them much and in this age where we prize independence, autonomy and self-reliance we can look back and reflect on a time when family was important and interactions between family members and friends were essential to their survival and well-being. "Let us agree that we shall never forget one another. And whatever happens....remember how good it felt when we were all here together, united by a good and decent feeling, which made us better people, probably, than we would otherwise have been." Alyosha's words at the end of "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

The first section begins with the Hanggi family history that goes back to Switzerland where a group of people came from Italy crossing over the Alps to begin the Hanggi lineage in small towns near Basel. The early information was compiled by Glen Hanggi, a retired Lutheran minister living in a suburb of Minneapolis (Box 372, Chisago City, MN 55013-0372). He made a number of trips to those villages with other members of the family. His line comes from a brother of Xavier Hanggi named Josef who had a sister named Albertina who became Xavier's wife. So the families are very close in more than one way. The following was written by Glen Hanggi.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Josef Hanggi in the following section "Getting Established In America" is a relative being a brother of your ancestor Albertina from whom you are descended. It is apparent that it was not unusual for a Hanggi to marry a Hanggi with up to half the people still living in Nunningen bearing the name Hanggi.

Page 13

Page 14

Page 15

Page 16

Page 17

Page 18

Page 19

Page 20

Page 21

Glen Hanggi tells us more

Genealogy of both sides of Hanggi family

The Hanggi Coat of Arms and Family Tree. The two fleur de lis, or lily wands are from the coat of arms of the village of Nunningen from whence all the Hanggi family members have come. In the center is a spring issuing two streams of water, a reminder that the Hanggi family owned the first spring in Nunningen. Beneath the spring are three lobes or hills, the heraldic sign of a free family. In this case they also represent the three villages of Nunningen, Zuwil, and Meltingen which federated to build the fortress of Gilgenberg for the protection of the people of the three villages when enemies approached. The bottom left group of Hanggi members list the children of Xavier and Albertina, your ancestors.

 Albertina and Xavier in Nunningen














Photograph of brick (tile?) factory before it burned down. Was owned and operated in a partnership with another person. See copy of letter dictated by Rosy Hanggi Larson on May1, 1940 for details of loss of this property and consequences on the Xavier Hanggi family.


Standing from left: Emil, Theodore, and Adolph; sitting from left: Rosa, Albertina, and Sister Martin

Still in Nunningen? Who are they? Emil's Children?

In America? Who are they? Look like Alphonse's Children?

Is Albertina in America yet

Emil and Rosie Annie?

Now In America For Sure

Hanggi First Home-A "Soddy"

The sod house became a symbol of pioneering on the prairies of the United States. Sod homes were built when there was no wood available for log houses or lumber was too expensive for the settler to buy. In North Dakota, many early settlers built sod houses for their firs homes on the prairie.

In a short time the Hanggi brothers were successful homesteaders

Sister Martin

Sister Martin

Albertina and Rosa (Larson)


Francis (Frank) Xavier Hanggi

Francis Xavier Hanggi with Mary Padden Stephens Hanggi at their wedding February 1910

Standing from left: Alphonse, Theodore, and Emil; sitting from left: Albert, Albertina, and Rosa (1920)

Family reunion at Alphonse's homestead in 1920 (same time and place as preceding photo)

1. Gerald Larson, 2. Walter Larson 3. Alfred Larson 4. Emil Hanggi 5. Albert Hankey 6. Marie Larson 7. Alphonse Hanggi 8. Ted Hankey 9. Earl Hankey 10. Fred Olson 11. Clara Hanggi (Emilís daughter) 12. Gertie Hanggi (Emilís daughter) 13. Eleanor Hanggi (Emilís daughter) 14. Annie Hanggi (Emilís wife) 15. Helen Larson 16. Marie Larson 17. Anna Hanggi (Alphonseís wife) 18. Carrie Hankey (Tedís wife) 19. Mary Hanggi (Frankís second wife) 20. Minnie (Frankís daughter by first wife) 21. Melonie Stalder (sister to Anna Hanggi and married to Fred Olson) 22. Eleanor Olson (Bill Brown) 23. Margie Hanggi (Steve Burke) (Frankís daughter by first wife) 24. Ruth Hanggi (Braus) 25. Francis Hangii (Burns) (Frankís daughter) 26. Ruby Hankey 27. Rosalind Loen 28. Margaret Helten 29. Max Hanggi ( Alphonseís son) 30. Bertha Hankey (Frankís daughter) 31. Francis Larson 32. Urban Larson 33. Tony Larson 34. Raymond Hanggi (Emilís son) 35. Harold Hanggi (Emilís son) 36. Victor Hanggi (Emilís son) 37. Albertina Hanggi

This is a priceless photograph that is in the Cavalier County Museum in Dresden, North Dakota where only a handful of people currently live. It appears that the identities of some of the people are incorrect. Ted Hankey is identified as Fred Hawley. I don't know who is identified as Ted Hankey. Ted Hankey is described in newspaper articles as an ardent baseball enthusiast.

This was a church in Dresden, North Dakota and now is the Cavalier County Museum. It has every kind of historical documents, photographs, and collections from homesteaders in this county. For anyone with ancestral roots in this county, it is a must visit.

Orally transmitted history also tells us about the Hanggi family in the following:

Aunt Rosie's letter continues: "Well, there are the 5 generations--alte Toony, der alte Zeigler (his name was Johann) then my dad, myself and my children are 6 generations. Don't know when der alte Tony came to Switzerland as I can trace it, it must of been in the year 1754. I know my grandpa was born in 1795. H said he was a small child and wore a dress yet or was about 3 years old he found a little pistol which some French soldier lost then they came back and took it away from him. He said that so many times that he never would forget it as long as he would live. You see it was the time France came to Switzerland and looted the treasury in the year 1798. Am wondering if this is what you aim to know. Granpa always said so much about Alte Tony. He used to say they were never afraid of him but always were afraid of his father (he meant her grandpa's father) that is alte Ziegler and he always made them work and hardly would give them spending money. I guess my dad was a lot like him. I remember when we kids had to work in the brickyard. Grandpa used to tell my dad to make us go to the house that we can't stand to work like that. Of course those forefathers always were ?wall-tede? in 1817 there was a famine. Hardly could get any flour. them days there ware no railroads so flour could be shipped in. De alte Ziegler set out to buy flour but could not get any. Grandpa said he came home and had a stocking-full of money and slung it under the bed and said, go on I couldn't do anything with you anyway. Grandpa said how hungry they used to get whenever he would see a small crust of bread that one or the other didn't eat. He soon came about the year 1816." End of Rosie's letter

The following are excerpts from letters and newspaper articles from the early twentieth century.

The last three children of Albertina and Franz Xavier were Catherine (stillborn), Bertha who burned to death at Uncle Albert's farm and Francis Xavier.

The fleur-de-lis represent the two Swiss saints Urs and Viktor who were Christian soldiers in the Roman legions crossing the Alps to get to Switzerland. They were sacrificed to the gods of the Alps for safe passage over the Alps.

Adolph Hanggi's granddaughter Jean Maresh Siler, 7278 Rush River Dr. , Sacramento California 95831. Her mother was Louise Hankey Maresh. Louise has 2 sisters neither of whom ever married: Alma Hankey and Tina (Albertina) Hankey. They both live in Portland.

Ruth Bruss's sister Marie, Marie Larson, Gertie Hanggi, Margaret Helten as well as Adeline lived at UCT with Aunt Carrie and Uncle Ted to go to high school.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Warring operated the UCT hotel in Langdon from 1927 to 1932 leaving in 1932 to open the Club cafe in Langdon which they operated until 1943. At this time they were in California for a two-year period. Marie Warring was born December 11, 1897 at Hannah, being the first girl-child birth recorded at the end of the railroad branch line. During her early childhood her family moved from Hannah to Milton, then to Langdon, later to Thief River Falls, Minn., back to Langdon, again to Milton and finally to Langdon in 1910. She taught in the Grey Consolidated School near Calvin in 1919 where she met Frank Warring; they were married November 1, 1920 at Langdon. They lived in Minneapolis for a year and then returned to Langdon and Mr. Warring operated a service station and oil business. (In 1936 they open the Club Cafe also in Belvidere Gardens at 4580 Whittier blvd. and in 1937 they lived in Portland. Cousins at her funeral were Ray Hanggi of Salem OR, Sam Kram husband of her cousin Marie Larson Kram, Harry Crook of Beaverton, husband of the former Adeline Hanggi, another cousin; Henry Loewen of Salem, husband of former Rose Hanggi, also a cousin.???Marie Warring. Interment was in the family plot in Skyline Memorial Gardens at Portland. Honorary pallbearers were Ray Hanggi of Salem Ore., a cousin of Mrs. Waring; Sam Kram of Portland, formerly of Langdon and husband of the late Marie Larson Kram, also a cousin; Harry Crook of Beaverton, Ore., husband of the former Adeline Hanggi, another cousin; Harry Loewen of Salem, husband of the former Rose Hanggi, also a cousin; Genee Row of Portland, formerly of Wales and Langdon; long-time friend. Mr Waring died in 1970. A brother, Earl Hankey, died in 1951. Earl was in the Langdon high school class of 1924 with Marie Larson and Gertrude Hanggi.

Recollections of Marie Hankey Warring. From Marie. In 1921 the Bartles Oil Company was being managed by the Lee Brothers who were past middle age. When they were going to quit running it, Ted Hankey applied for the agency, having in mind that his son-in-law Frank Warring would run it. He sent a telegram to his daughter Marie and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Warring, who were in Winnett, Montana, at the time. They left Winnett immediately in order to get home for Christmas eve. They started January 1, 1922, running the station for the Bartles. Later that year Cities Service bought it. Our only competitor in tank wagon sales was J. A Balgaard who had other interests in a wood yard and ice hours. The first month our only commission was $5.31 for commission on Neatsfoote harness oil and kerosene. Frank bought a Reo truck chassis from Liebeler and put the tank on to peddle in the country when the roads opened up, and I took over the pump. I think the gas was 25 cents per gallon. Business was real good that year and we made good commissions. Then the Texaco came in, then Nicholl, then Farmers Union, so business was divided. Frank went into an oil venture in Wales but in winter only kerosene sales, so we didn't move there till spring. It was a wet spring, the roads were bad and it was difficult to get out, so we came back to Cities Service in the spring of 1927. When my mother died in January 1928, we took over management of the UCT Hotel. Commercial club dinners were served there. The one I remember best was the party for Dr. Judd Kirkham when he left Langdon. The order was for T-bone steaks and mushrooms. Ray Kelly ordered 75 steaks from the Grand Forks packing plant, and we got a case of large size cans of mushrooms.

Funeral Held Saturday For Theodore B. Hankey.  Half-Century Resident Was Enthusiastic Supporter of Langdon Ball Teams and Bands Many Years.::Baseball games and band concerts in Langdon will not be the same in the future. Theodore B. Hankey will not be present. "Ted" as he was popularly known by thousands, and who was a most staunch supporter of local baseball teams and bands for many years, passed away early Thursday morning of last week, July 20, 1939. He had suffered a heart ailment of more than a year and had bee confined to a Langdon hospital for three weeks before his death. Funeral services for the pioneer county resident were held Saturday morning at St Alphonsus church with Father Patrick Heley singing the requiem mass. Internment was in Lebanon cemetery beside the remains of the late Mrs. Hankey. Pall-bearers were Dr. E. J. Hughes, E. J. Donovan, O. S. Johnson, S. E. Liebeler, R. D. Kelly and E. J. Franta. Theodore, son of Xavier and Albertina Hanggi, was born February 2, 1869, at Engi, near Basil, in Switzerland. Xavier Hanggi emigrated from Switzerland in 1884 and rented a 180 acre farm in the Inkster vicinity. The pioneer mother and 11 children followed the next year and arrived at Inkster April 30, 1885. The family farmed there until 1889. The previous year the father and another son, Adolph, had followed the railroad north and filed on a claim in South Dresden township, where the Dresden townsite was later established. The next year when they returned with other members of the family, the claim had been taken by another settler and the family moved westward into what is now Grey township. It was on the northward trip that the son Theodore started out for himself. He and his brother Adolph were taking the load of machinery to the new farm on a wagon. When they came out of the valley, where spring weather had prevailed, they found themselves snowbound. They stopped at a farm near Union and changed their load to sleighs. During a rest stop at Milton the younger of the two, Theodore, stopped to visit at the butcher ship, having learned the butcher trade in his youth. At that time he hired out to start work in the Milton market April1. He worked there that summer and it was there that he met Carrie Pearson, whom he later married. He went from Milton to Langdon and was employed in a meat market there by M. L. Sullivan for six years. He was married there April 20, 1897, to the young lady whom he met in Milton. She was a native of Sweden, had come to Fargo with other members of her family when she was a girl of 15 and went with them to Lancaster, Minn. She came to Cavalier county in 1889 and was employed in the community until the time of her marriage. The young couple moved on to Hannah that year when the railroad was extended to Hannah, and Mr. Hankey became associated with M. C. Olson, present Sarles resident, in operating the town's first meat market. The couple returned to Langdon to operate the Great Northern Hotel, beginning in July 1898. After that property burned he built the brick hotel building which is now the Bear Hotel. In 1906 they moved to Thief River Falls, Minn., where he operated a meat market. After short stays there and at Nekoma, Milton and Osnabrock they returned to Langdon in 1911. Mr. Hankey bought the U. C. T. hotel and it was during the 21 years that he operated that place, with the capable assistance of his wife, that the place became one of the best known hotels in this section of the state and Mr. Hankey became one of the community's most prominent citizens. He took an active interest in community affairs and served for eight years on the city council, including the time when the waterworks system was installed. He was active in commercial club and fraternal circles, retaining his membership in the Grand Forks lodge of Elks until the time of his death. Enthusiastic about baseball and bands, he was also very active in promoting organizations that sponsored both, giving freely of his energies and money to ;make both possible in Langdon. He retired from the hotel business in 1932. Since that time he has traveled considerable and visited his children and relatives. He spent some time with his daughter, Mrs. Newland C. Roy while she lived at Utica, N. Y. with her family; with the F. E. Warring family while they lived at Los Angeles and near Portland, Ore., and with the Alphonse Hanggi family at Clyde. He also visited with his son Earl in Minneapolis. ...One son, Albert passed away in 1900 as an infant....Other relatives attending the funeral were Mrs. Minnie Spence and her daughter Mrs Bernice Winters, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Coleman and Mr. and Mrs. Ray Winters, all of Hallock; the Alfred Larson family of Calvin and the Alphonse Hanggi family of Clyde....Only Alphonse and Mrs. Alfred Larson survive of the 11 children coming from Switzerland.

Services Held On Sunday For Mrs. T. B. Hankey Remains Laid to Rest in Lebanon Cemetery; Was Long Resident of Langdon. Funeral services for Mrs. T. B. Hankey, whose sudden death was announced in last week's issue of the Republican, were held from the First Presbyterian church in Langdon at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon and interment was made in Lebanon cemetery. Rev. P. H. Hayley officiated at the services, both at the church and at the grave, and several musical numbers were rendered by the choir. Pallbearers were Henry Albrecht, A. A. Wilson, Dr. G. E. Stromberg, Wm. Stevenson, R. D. Kelly and John Mooney. Carrie Pearson was born near Stockholm Sweden, March 6, 1869, and was fifty-seven years nine months and twenty-eight days of age at the time of her demise. At the age of fifteen she and one of her sisters came to the United States, joining their parents at Fargo, the latter having come to this country a year previous to that time. The next year the family removed to Hallock, Minn., which continued to be the family home until the death of the parents some years ago. Several of the brothers and sisters of Mrs. Hankey still reside in the vicinity of Hallock. On her twentieth birthday, March 6th, 1889, the deceased came to Langdon and except for short intervals of time this has continued to be her home. It was here that she met and married Theodore B. Hankey, on April 20th, 1897, and it was in Langdon that her three children were born. The same year that they were married, Mr. and Mrs. Hankey went to Hannah where they conducted a hotel for something over a year, returning to Langdon in 1898 and remaining here until the summer of 1906, when they went to Thief River Falls, Minn. After spending a couple of years at Thief River Falls the family returned to Cavalier county taking up their residence at Milton for a time, and in 1911 they came to Langdon and assumed the management of the U, C. T. hotel, which is still being operated by Mr. Hankey. In addition to the sorrowing husband and three children, Mrs. F. E. Waring of Langdon, Miss Ruby and Earl, deceased is survived by five sisters and two brothers, as follows: Mrs. Spence and Mrs. MacKenzie of Hallock, Minn.; Ole Pearson and Mrs. Coleman, Lancaster Minn.; Haakon Pearson, Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. Root, Detroit, Mich., and Mrs. Ingals, Salem, Ore.

The U. C. T. hotel was owned and operated by the Ted Hankey family. "Frantacisms wrote about how he had enjoyed the good cooking by Mrs. Helten's cousin, Mrs. Frank (Marie) Warring, during the 30 months he lived at the UCT hotel before he could find a good cook to marry. Mrs. Helten responded that Mrs. Warring, had learned to cook so well from her mother, Mrs. Ted (Carrie) Hankey, who had the kitchen responsibility when Mrs. stayed at the hotel while attending LHS. At the family table at the UCT was Anthony Larson. Tony graduated in the LHS class of 1930 and now lives at Calvin. (Family Table At UCT) Mrs. Helten responded. In her time, "at the family table were Mrs. H. E. Price, Anna Forbes, Grace Dunford, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Ramage and Marie and Frank. Across the room were Tony Mukomela, Charley Lothspeich, Carl Tollefson, Walter Bradley, Fred Comnick, Happy Husgen and Mr. Hazlett. All were UCT family." Weekly costs for a well-kept room and sumptuous meals was $10. From letter sent by Eleanor and Leo Korb (1993): I talked to my sister Adeline Crook in Beaverton, Ore. who stayed at the UCT while going to school in Langdon her Jr. & Sr. year-'27-'29. Mary Peterson worked at the hotel and Adeline said she was a nice looking person. Florence Hoolihan worked there at the same time. She and Earl sat at the family table, also Adeline. Earl & Florence had twins--no dates in Glen Hanggi's book."

Earl Hankey married Florence Hoolihan and had twins. Earl Hankey was also the father of another child Robert Hankey who was born to Mary E. Peterson (who worked at UCT Hotel) on June 24, 1931. This birth is not recorded at Langdon nor at Mt. Carmel. The Mt. Carmel book in the Dresden Museum lists the following information: Rev. Ansgar R. Hankey son of Mary Peterson born June 24, 1931...1943 moved to Fargo...ordained June 24, 1960 St. Joesph Seminary at Teutopolis, Ill.. Taught at St Francis Salanus school in Quincy, Ill.. An obituary reports that Mary E. Peterson Dies June 24 in Minneapolis. Funeral services were held in Minneapolis Wednesdy of last week for Mary E. Peterson, 74, of Minneapolis. The Mt. Carmel native died Sunday June 23, 1979, in the Angelus Convalescent Home in Minneapolis. Mary E. Peterson was born July 31, 1904, at Mr. Carmel. She was the daughter of Andrew J. Peterson and Christina Godfrey Peterson, prominent early-day Mt Carmel farm couple. Her father, who homesteaded near Mt. Carmel in 1887, died October 9, 1942. Her mother passed away August 22, 1941. Mary Peterson was reared at Mt. Carmel and as a young woman was employed at the UCT Hotel in Langdon while it was owned by and operated by Theodore B. Hankey and later by Mr. and Mrs. Frank (Marie) warring, all now deceased. Robert Hankey of Minneapolis of Minneapolis is a son who survives with two grandchildren. Three sisters and two brothers also survive. They are Mrs. Ole (Amelia) Birkland, Fargo; Mrs. Archie (Alice) Swenson, Devils Lake; Mrs. Leslie (Christina) Johnson, Kettle Falls, Wash.; Norman J. Peterson, Moorhead, Minn.; and Elmer J. Peterson, Salem, Ore.

Clyde Pioneer School Teacher, Mail Carrier And Farmer Dies In Oregon. With the death of Alphonse Hanggi in Salem, Ore., December 7, 1949, Cavalier county lost the last pioneer member of one of its earliest pioneer families, who homesteaded in the Clyde vicinity in 1886. Mr. Hanggi had lived in Cavalier county for nearly 60 years when he moved to Salem in 1945. A typical pioneer he held the distinction of having been the first teacher of the first consolidated rural school in the United States. The school was organized in Grey township and conducted in a sod shanty. Requiem mass was sung in St. Joseph's church in Salem at 10 a.m. December 10. Mr. Hanggi who died of a heart attack at the age of 76 years, had been ill for several years; the heart trouble developed as a complication and grew rapidly worse in the last few weeks. Before the services in the church, a blind neighbor sang two songs, "In the Garden," and one of Mr. Hanggi's favorites, "A Perfect Day." Alphonse, son of Francis X. and Albertina Hanggi was born May 22, 1873, at Nunningen, Switzerland, and was one of 13 children. In April 1885 he immigrated to this country with his mother and ten brothers and sisters, coming first to Inkster to join his father who had come two years earlier. In 1886 his father homesteaded in Grey township and Alphonse Hanggi took up his own claim in Huron township, where he continued to live until moving to Salem in April 1945. For a short time he attended Gonzaga college in Spokane, Wash., then taught school in Grey and Trier townships. In 1906 he visited his old home in Switzerland and brought back Anna Rose Yeger, whom he had known in his early school days. They were married August __, 1906. He is survived by his wife, and three children, Mrs. Rose Loewen of Salem, Ore., Mrs. Margaret Helten, also of Salem and Max Hanggi, who lives on his father's original homestead near Clyde. Twelve grandchildren, two great grandchildren, and a large number of nieces and nephews also survive. Brothers and a sister who predeceased him and were well-0known in this county were Emil J. Hanggi, Frank X. Hanggi and Mrs. Alfred Larson of Calvin and Theodore B. Hanggi of Langdon. Relatives able to come for the funeral from Portland, Ore., were __im S. Kram and family, Ray Hanggi, Mrs. Sophie Dolan and Albertina Hankey. Sam Kram and Ray Hanggi were pallbearers together with four friends from Salem. On Thanksgiving day the Hanggi family had its last reunion when the Max Hanggi family were on a two week trip to the west coast. They returned recently to Clyde. Though Mr. Hanggi had moved from Cavalier county it was still home to him and he retained a keen interest in all the "folks back home," especially the thinning ranks of his pioneer friends and he forgot no one and seldom a date. He never tired of telling of the pioneer experiences. "My entry into Cavalier county was in April, 1890," Mr. Hanggi wrote once in a pioneer narrative for the Cavalier County Republican. "My father, my youngest brother and I made the three-day trip from Inkster on a lumber wagon and afoot, taking turns driving a herd of 15 cattle. The first day we got as far a three miles east of Edinburg, where we camped in the hills. The second day Langdon was reached and on the third day we got to father's homestead on section 25 in Grey township. "My first impression was a favorable one," he recalled, "although persons from the valley who had been here before us tried to persuade us not to come to this new country, saying it had not rained here for 18 years. But the rains kept on coming and so did the settlers." 'One thing which was a joy to us all was a young elk, then a year old. My brother Adolph caught him as a little fawn in the vicinity of Rock Lake while out on a bone picking trip. Bones were plentiful on the prairies in those days and pioneers raised funds for establishing a home by picking the bones and hauling them to Langdon where they sold them for $8 a ton. In the fall of 1890 Mr. Hanggi went to Grand Forks to school, then left there December 3, 1891, for Spokane, Wash., where he went to school until returning August 17, 1892, to Cavalier county. His next occupation was that of a mail carrier. His brother Theodore had taken the contract to carry the mail between Daniels post office in Grey township and the Hannah post office. Then Theodore went to Langdon to work and the mail carrying job was transferred to Alphonse, who continued that work until the spring of 1894. The route was changed to Langdon, Moscow, Daniels, Austin, Woodbridge and Dash, and Mr. Hanggi's sister Rose, who later became Mrs. Alfred Larson, carried the mail when Alphonse was employed with other jobs. Reporting the beginnings of in Grey township, Mr. Hanggi said, "About the spring of 1894 a school meeting was called, and it was agreed to tax every homesteader, bachelors included, $3. Duncan Crearer, at whose home the meeting was held, was chosen treasurer. I was engaged to teach for a term of three months, beginning May 20 and ending August 20. My first pupils were Belle Sumter, Silas Daniels, John and Kate Sillers, William Shortridge, Lottie King and Frank Hanggi. "The schoolhouse was a sod building with wooden floor and a rough timber rood, covered with sod. It was built a year or two before and was also used for church gatherings. Whenever a shower went over, we would find a place where the rain didn't leak through and stand in groups until it was over. The sod building was replace by a frame structure and in 1914 it was replaced by the present building. This was the first consolidated school in North Dakota." In the winter of 1894-95 Mr. Hanggi went to school in Langdon, then wrote on the teachers' examinations, receiving a third grade certificate. He taught two six month terms in the county after that. Mr. Hanggi also recalled blizzards of pioneer days, especially the one on Good Friday, 1893, when a storm came up suddenly in the afternoon and caught Mr. Hanggi and his team out on the road. In the blinding snow he got his bearings by running into a huge wood pile of poplar poles in the Ed Bakrud farm yard in Grey township, and from there made his way to the Bakrud house. His brother Emil was caught in the same storm and managed to take refuge at the Stafford home en route from Langdon to home. Another storm he particularly remembered was in 1894 when the family was going home after attending midnight mass in Langdon. "In the snow the horses lost the trail. With one half match among us we managed to light a lantern in the bob sleigh. Lo and behold, we had light. With its help we saw a track and someone exclaimed, 'Here is a track, somebody must have passed! We found to our dismay tho', that we had followed our own tracks, but at least by detecting the little lumps of snow kicked up by the horses' feet we were able to get back unto the road and home. No place ever loomed up more welcome than did the little sod house." Experiences with prairie fires were numerous. Box socials, turkey raffles, dances, all served to break the monotony of pioneer life. During the winter of 1893-94, a singing school was in progress, meeting once a week. G. W. Sumter, a civil war veteran, was its instructor. The Turtle Mountain to Pembina trail cut off the southwest corner of his Father's homestead, Mr. Hanggi wrote. "Imagine seeing a caravan of from 10 to 15 Red River carts heaped with bones, the wooden cart axles heralding their advent, passing to Langdon to market their loads." Mr. Hanggi was a member of the Huron township school board for several years. In Salem he was an active member of the Men's Garden club and was happiest among his flowers, surrounded by his grandchildren and all the neighborhood youngsters, who called him grandpa," tho' he had lived in Salem only four years. He loved to sing and only gave it up in the past month because of his rapidly failing heart.

Hold Last Rites For Pioneer Clyde Woman. According to belated news recieved here, funeral services were held June 14, 1950 in St. Joseph's church iat Salem Ore., for Mrs. Anna Rose Hanggi of Salem, widow of the late Alphonse Hanggi, prominent clyde pioneer. The pioneer Clyde woman died June 9, 1950. Although she had submitted to an operation May 22, her condition was improving and it was thought that she was recovering satisfactorily when she was stricken with a fatal heart attack. Mrs. Hanggi was born Anna Rose Yeger at Dornach, Switzerland, July 22, 1873. Living there until 1906, she spent the last 17 years of her stay there in business with her mother who owned a large dressmaking shop in Basel. She came to America in July 1906 with Alphonse Hanggi, her childhood sweetheart, who had returned to Switzerland to bring her to the North Dakota prairies, which she loved immediately. She was never known to be homesick or regretted leaving a large city for the hard pioneer life. Although she was never a true pioneer as was her husband, she knew the struggles in the early days of homesteading in Cavalier county. She married Alphonse Hanggi August 16, 1906, at Trier. All her life except the last five years, were spent on their homestead in Clyde, which their son Max now operates. Since April 1, 1945 she made her home in Salem. ...Mrs. Hanggi was the last living member of her family; her mother and sister having died many years ???before at Clyde. Mr. Hanggi died December 7, 1949. Three children survive their parents. They are Mrs. Rose Loewen and Mrs. Margaret Helten of Salem, Ore., and Max Leo of Clyde. The services were kept as identical a possible as those for her late husband Alphonse.

Emil J. Hanggi Dies at Home on Wednesday. Emil J. Hanggi, prominent Grey township farmer, passed away unexpectedly late Wednesday afternoon from a heart attack. His death came as a shock to friends in the county although he had suffered from heart trouble for some time. No arrangements for the funeral had yet been made late Wednesday night. Mr. Hanggi had lived in the county since June, 1889, and had become widely known as a successful farmer, particularly in the raising of highest premium durum wheat. He was born October 16, 1871, in Switzerland and came directly to Inkster with his parents, Xavier and Albertina Hanggi, in the spring of 1885. The family came to Cavalier county in 1889. The previous summer Mr. Hanggi's father had taken up a claim on the quarter section of land where Dresden now stands, but another settler had moved in in the meantime, so the family had to take up a claim elsewhere. November 19, 1902, Mr Hanggi was married to Annie Koehmstedt at Minto and the couple moved to the farm in Grey township where he lived the rest of his life. The widow and six children survive. The children are Mrs. Murray Cox of Minto, Mrs. Earl Wood of Grand Forks, Mrs. Leo Korb of Calio, Victor of Calvin, Adeline of Grand Forks and Raymond of Calvin. He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Alfred Larson of Calvin, and two brothers Alphonse of Clyde and T. B. Hankey who is visiting his daughter, Mrs. Newland C. Roy at New Hartford, N. Y.

Hanggi Funeral Held Saturday. Prominent Grey township Resident Laid to Rest at Munich. Funeral services were held at 10:00 o'clock Saturday morning from the Catholic church in Munich for Emil J. Hanggi, widely known Grey township farmer, who passed away unexpectedly at his home from a heart attack January 8, 1936. Rev. N. T. Cloos of Munich sang the requiem high mass, and internment was in the cemetery at Munich. Pallbearers were Leo Koehmstedt of Overly, John Koehmstedt of Minto, William Moore, John Crummy and Alfred Larson all of Calvin and Matt Schneider of Wales. All of the children of the deceased were present for the services except Harold Hanggi who is in Spokane, Wash., but who could not be located in time. Harold spent about a month in the fall visiting at the family home. Other children are listed. Others who came from a distance to attend the funeral were two sisters of Mrs. Hanggi, Sister St. Lawrence of St. Paul and Gertrude Koehmstedt of Grand Forks.

Emil kept busy. His own report doesn't give the dates, but it tells that in 1934 he had lived on the same farm in Grey township 32 years.  Before that he was employed on the Spangler farm near Inkster, now owned by the Forest River Colony. Then in Grand Forks he worked for the Dunlevy Coal & Ice Company and later as groundskeeper for the Ursaline Sisters who operated St. Bernard's Academy before it became St. James Academy. His children were Clara (Cox), Gertrude, Eleanor, Adeline (Crook), Victor, Harold and Raymond.

Funeral For Mrs. Annie Hanggi Held At Munich Friday. Funeral services were held Friday morning for Mrs. Emil J. Hanggi of San Diego, Calif., early resident of Grey township. Mrs. Hanggi died Monday evening, September 5, 1960, at 10:35 o'clock at a Grand Forks hospital to which she had been taken after sustaining fatal injuries earlier that evening in a fall downstairs in the home of her daughter at Thompson. The Rosary was recited in her memory Thursday evening at the Brooks funeral chapel in Langdon. The funeral was held at St. Mary's church in Munich, where Mrs. Hanggi had long been a member. The Rev. Anthony Prumoski officiated for the requiem mass. Interment was in St. Mary's cemetery at Munich, beside the grave of Mr. Hanggi who died in 1936. Pallbearers were Duane Korb, Harold Korb, Robert Korb, Robert Hanggi and Rodney Hanggi, grandsons of the deceased. Mrs. Hanggi, who had made her home in San Diego, Calif., since 1938, arrived at Fargo about two weeks before her death. Besides visiting in Fargo, she also had visisted relatives at Waukegan, Ill., Minneapolis and St. Paul, and had come to visit at Thompson the day of her death. Annie Elizabeth, daughter of Lawrence and Susanna Koehmstedt, was born April 6, 1879, on the homestead of her parents, near Minto. She came to Grey township, Cavalier county, in 1901, and the next year, November 19, 1902, she and Emil J. Hanggi were married at St. Patrick's church in Minto by the late Rev. Considine. The couple lived on the farm Mr. Hanggi had homesteaded in Grey township in Grey township, built up an outstanding home and participated actively in church and community affairs. Mrs. Hanggi was clerk of Grey township for many years and both she and Mr. Hanggi were active members of St. Mary's church at Munich, as she was in St. Vincent's church at San Diego after she moved. Mr. Hanggi died January 8, 1936, and Mrs. Hanggi continued to reside on the farm most of the time until the fall of 1938, spending one winter in Fargo. In the fall of 1938 after her son Victor had taken over active management of the family farm, she moved to San Diego, to make her home for a time with her son Harold and his family. At the time of her death she had been residing in her own apartment, built for her by her son Harold. Mrs. Hanggi's principal interest was her family, and she spent considerable of her time in recent years traveling to visit them. Besides church work, sewing and current events interested her. She was the other of seven children, all of whom survive and came to attend the funeral. They are Clara Loretta, who is Mrs. Murray Cox of Thompson; Gertrude Agnes, who is Mrs. Earl J. Woods of Fargo; Eleanor Susanna, who is Mrs. Leo Korb of Calio; Victor C. Hanggi of Calvin; Adeline Esther Victoria, who is Mrs. Harry J. Crook of Beaverton, Ore., Harold L. Hanggi of San Diego; and Raymond Hanggi of Salem, Ore. Two brothers and three sisters also survive. Her brothers are Leo E. Koehmstedt of Overly and Adolph Keohmstedt of Waukegan, Ill. Her sisters are Angie, who is Sister Susanna of St. Joseph's Order, St. Paul; Loretta, who is Sister St. Lawrence of the same order, Minneapolis; and Gertrude, who is Mrs. Albert Gaetz of San Diego. Her brothers, John, Victor, Lawrence, Frank and Valentine, and sisters, Clara, Mary, and Victoris, predeceased her. Among the many who attended the funeral, relatives who came from a distance, besides her children, were Sister Susanna of St. Paul; Sister St. Lawrence of Minneapolis; Mr. and Mrs. Leo Koehmstedt of Overly; Mrs. John Koehmstedt and her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. John Koehmstedt of Minto; Miss helen Koehmstedt of Jamestown; Mrs. John Harkness of Minto; Mr. and Mrs. John Moran of Knee Hill Valley, Alberta; Mrs. Allan Edwards of South Bend, Ind.; and Mrs. William Zachmeier of Bismarck.

M. L. Hanggi, Longtime Farmer Dies July 19. Funeral services were held July 19, 1976, for Maximillian Leo Hanggi, long time Clyde farmer, who died July 16, 1976 at Salem, Ore., Rev. Anthony Inzerma officiated at the service held at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church in Salem. Interment was in the St. Barbara Cemetery. Pallbearers were John Kessel, Oscar Meyer, Willard Lovell, Bill Bangert, Dwight Fletcholl and Keith Higley, Honorary

Rites For Former Wales Woman Held At Bowman. Requiem high mass was sung February 22,1957 at the St. Charles Catholic church in Bowman for Mrs. Mary Hanggi, who died in St. Alexius hospital in Bismarck February 20, 1957, after an illness for almost a year. Father Smierciak was the celebrant. Mary Padden Hanggi was born in Cylon, Wisc., July 8, 1876, and after moved to the Wales vicinity where she lived until 1910 when she was married to Frank X. Hanggi. Mr. and Mrs. Hanggi lived in the Grey community until 1924. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Hanggi made her home in Valley City and in recent years had lived with her daughter in Bowman. Mrs. Hanggi is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Gordon Bollinger (Marie) of Glascow, Mont., Mrs. Donald Burns (Francis) of Bowman, Mrs. Matt Braus (Ruth) of Bismarck, and Mrs. W. F. Dunigan? (Bertha) of Cut Bank, Mont.; one sister, Mrs. M Martin of New Richmond, Wisc.,; and 21 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren, besides many nieces and nephews in Cavalier county.

Citizens Records for the Hanggi and Hankey families: Franz Xavier Hanggi arrived in New York August of 1884. Declared intent to get citizenship on January 31, 1885 in Grand Forks. Received citizenship June 2, 1891 in Cavalier County....Adolph Hankey arrived in New York April of 1885. Declared intent to get citizenship on June 22, 1894 in Cavalier County. Received citizenship November 8, 1895 in Cavalier County. Rosa Hanggi arrived in New York April of 1885. Declared intent to get citizenship on August 13, 1894 in Cavalier County. Records of citizenship not found. Perhaps she received citizenship from her husband when she married. .Emil Hanggi arrived in New York April of 1885. Declared intent to get citizenship on July 2, 1894 in Grand Forks. Received citizenship February 16, 1900 in Cavalier County. Theodore Hankey arrived in New York April of 1885. Declared intent to get citizenship on August 13, 1894 in Cavalier County. Received citizenship May 21, 1900 in Cavalier County. Alphonse Hanggi arrived in New York April of 1885. Declared intent to get citizenship on August 13, 1894 in Cavalier County. Record of citizenship not found. If one knew the book number in which the document is filed, it might be found. ...It was interesting to me that all but Franz Xavier spelled the name "Hankey" at lest one place on the 3 documents.

Hokanson-Pearson Family in Hallock Minnesota

The ancient history (before 10,000 BC) of any family can be examined by a person's DNA. For a female this is done be examining mitochrondial DNA that is only passed down to female descendents. Elizabeth Strombeck had her DNA determined by the National Geographic's Genographic study and these results can be viewed under Elizabeth genographic results.


Very little information can be found on Carrie Pearson who married Ted Hankey. The following is a page copied from "Our Northwest Corner" published by the Kittson County Historical Society. It is from the 1979 edition. The society maintains a museum in Lake Bronson. We found the museum volunteers to be very helpful and the museum stores and displays a massive amount of information and relics from early days. The Hokanson family came from Varmland but no town is given. Per Hokanson was born in Varmland on April 7, 1831 and died in Granville township east and north Hallock on July 5, 1907. Per's father was Hokan Olson and his mother was Annie Pearson (Person). Annie Pearson Hokanson was born in 1836 in Sweden and died in 1918 in Kittson County. I tried to obtain copies of photographs of Per and Anna but the people I contacted had never seen any. I contacted a number of people who are descendants but received a reply from only one. Keith Pearson, who is a grandson of Hokan Pearson and sister to Willard who lives presently on the farm, responded with an interest and helpful information. He wrote that the town of Hickson is in Minnesota where Elizabeth Hicks is from and the town was named after their family.

Ole Pearson (From the Kittson County Historical Society)

It is interesting that the following written on Ole Pearson says nothing about his parents and siblings. On reading what F. V. Pearson has written it may appear that Per and Anna Hokanson were not related to him. There were so many Pearsons in Kittson County that is possible but if one carefully puts these stories together it is evident that they were all related.

The Hokan Pearson (From the Kittson County Historical Society)

The following was written by Mrs. Harvey Diamond who may be still living in 2005. It is a little confusing because she refers to her grandfather as "Parr Hokanson" (he was really her great grandfather) and then Hokan Pearson as her grandfather.

William A. Pearson Family (From the Kittson County Historical Society)

V. Spence, V.S (From the Kittson County Historical Society)

Ruby Roy spoke fondly of Doc. Spence and his wife Minnie. I never wrote down what she said about them. She had interactions with them as much as any of her family on her mother's side.

Hallock Newspaper advertisement for Dr. A. Spence's services

Obituary for Per Hokanson

Died: At his home, near Lancaster, on Friday, July 5th, 1907, Per Hoganson, at the age of 76 years. Deceased was one of the best known and most respected citizens of his neighborhood. He was one of the early settlers of Kittson county having located here some twenty years ago during the time he raised a family of children all of whom are grown up and today number among our best citizens. He was always identified with the best interests of his community. He leaves to survive him, his aged widow and eight children as follows; Mrs. F. Mackenzie, Mrs. James Inglis, Mrs. A. Spence, Mrs. Thomas Coleman, and Olof, all of this county, Mrs. N. H. Root of Winnipeg, Mrs. Hankey of Thief River Falls and son Hokan of Fargo. His remains were laid to rest in the Union Liberty cemetery in the Town of Thompson last Sunday afternoon. (note how they mispelled his name)





Carrie Pearson Hankey

Ted Hankey and Carrie Pearson-Hankey


Ruby Arline and mother Carrie Hankey


Ted Hankey

Marie and Ruby Hankey

Ruby (1913)


Ruby, Marie, Marie's
     son Ted and Grandpa Ted


Earl Hankey

Ruby at Macalester
(V.P. W.S.G.A)


Below from Left: Earl, Carrie, Ted, Marie, and Ruby

From Left: Earl, Carrie, Ted, Marie, and Ruby


Year 1920 from left: Ted Hankey, Ruby, Carrie, Earl, and Marie Hankey Warring


Langdon, N.D.

Ted Hankey



UCT Hotel owned and operated by Hankeys and later by Warrings. Built in 1902; torn down January 2, 1992



Railway Station in Thief River Falls; Ted Hankey family lived here a short time



Old City Hall building in Lancaster, Minnesota


Burial site of Alphonse Larson who died in military in France during WWI. This site is in the "abandoned" Assumption cemetery in Clyde. Tony Larson mowed the grass here and maintained it until his death.



Family grave marker for the Hanggi family. Albertina is buried here. It is close by the burial site for Alphonse Larson who died during World War II from influenza.


Barn above is part of Larson homestead nearby where Tony lived.


The Larson homestead







Liz and Tony Larson by the homestead home where he lived his entire life. It was left like it was 100 years earlier with all its original furnishings, treasures at this time. In 1993 he lived beside it in a mobile home. He had lived there with his sister Helen who was in a nursing home at that time. See 1920 photo to see them as children.

 Larson homestead home


Elizabeth Strombeck with Leo and Eleanor Korb at the farm they homesteaded but no longer farmed. None of their children wished to remain and run the farm.

Burial site of Carrie and Ted Hankey


Presbyterian church in Langdon, ND where Ruby Hankey married Newland Roy. The site remains the same in pictures from their wedding.

Ruby with Nurse Weir?
Why Ruby was there?



Ruby with her brother Earl. 

Ruby enjoying a farm tractor.

Elizabeth making notes of the family resting in the Assumption Cemetery in Clyde. This cemetery is described as being abandoned but as you can see the grass is mowed (by Tony Larson in 1993). There may be no one caring for it now that he has died. The cemetery is in the middle of nowhere in a country that has a spellbinding natural beauty.


The people are gone but some relics remain from their life.